Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What I have learned in this class!


   The single most informative aspect of this class came from the readings.  I have learned and implemented more from the textbooks than I have from any other in any class!  I particularly enjoyed learning about the Force Field Analysis, which originated with Kurt Lewin. “He theorized that in order for change to occur, the driving forces for the change must exceed the resisting forces against the change” (Harris, Edmonson, and Combs, 2010, p. 94).  The steps to use when practicing Force Field Analysis are as follows. Describe the current situation, and the change one wants to make. In identifying what will happen if no change is made, one begins to think about both why they want to make the change, and the justifications for doing so.  At that time, concretely identify what is driving the changes, as well as what might be causing resistance to said changes.  After reflection, it can then be determined if the change is actually viable, that is, will it work?  If you decide it indeed is, then list what is needed to make it work.  The benefit of this method is that it forces one to sit down and truly think about all reasons, barriers, potential, and requirements of a proposed change before beginning the work of change.  This method seems that it will be most useful in my particular action research project.  I have actually used some of the steps already, and think that having the written out process in front of me at all times will keep my on track as I am working through the project.  The actual eight action research steps outlined in Examining What We Do To Improve Our Schools: 8 Steps from Analysis to Action (Harris et al., 2010) have been instrumental in guiding the creation of my action research project.  By following the eight steps of setting the foundation, analyzing data, developing a deeper understanding, engaging in self-reflection, exploring patterns, determining direction, taking action, and sustaining improvement, I have begun to discover what kind of administrator I want to be. In doing so, I will continue to become the head learner of the school I hope to eventually lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!